[MlMt] Any way to prevent auto-correcting two spaces after a period to one?

Gary Hull YH82d7dfU at yandex.com
Sun Jun 7 23:11:45 EDT 2015

On 8 Jun 2015, at 9:40, Eric A. Meyer wrote:

> On 7 Jun 2015, at 20:16, Gary Hull wrote:
>
>> On 8 Jun 2015, at 2:44, Ben Klebe wrote:
>>
>>> The autocorrect is system-wide in Cocoa text fields. To change it,
>>> go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text and uncheck “Correct
>>> spelling automatically.” Strangely though I can’t replicate this
>>> behavior and furthermore why would you want two spaces after a
>>> period?
>>
>> Please don't open that can of worms on the mailing list!:
>
> …he said, and then wrenched the can open further.

You noticed that, huh? :-)

>> http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html
>>
>> Although I agree: two spaces after a period should have died with
>> manual monospace typewriters.
>
> You and Manjoo are wrong: the wider post-sentence spacing was not a
> quirky, transient artifact of typewriters or monospace fonts, but has
> literal centuries of precedent and tradition behind it:
>
> http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324

I worked in my middle school's print shop for a year setting lead type
from a California case and redistributing the pi, so I know the
traditions, and have read all the old pre-ITC typography books that are
only available on ABE.com these days. I later worked as a graphic
designer in a shop that went through the whole range of phototypography
from hand-spaced display type to self-contained Compugraphic machines to
Agfa-Compugraphic front-ends to Postscript imagesetters. Not to mention
IBM Selectric Composers with Adrian Frutiger-designed fonts on
9-to-the-em grids.

The point of books written for compositors is to teach compositors what
to do. Writers didn't typeset their own books. Spacing decisions are
made by the compositor, based on the font in use, the leading, and the
particular letter pair. Today the function of the compositor has been
taken over by the combination of the type designer and the particular
system in which the font is realized (such as Postscript), which has all
sorts of intelligence built into it, and additional intelligence built
into the publishing software that drives the output (imagesetter or
digital display). Again, the writer shouldn't be trying to force design
factors like that in his manuscript (although click-to-publish bloggers
have to assume some design responsibility). Fonts are no longer made of
lead, you can kern without brass spacers, and you can negatively kern
without filing off the lead corners of the font. The way that type looks
today is the way that skilled typographers want it to work, and the best
of them have simply better taste than the past masters. Old books just
look blotchy to modern eyes, although they are beautiful as historical
objects.

At any rate, double spacer should know that publishers these days have
regex routines that manuscripts get run through, fixing things like
initial and trailing spaces and high-bit ASCII, and that /\w+/\w/ or the
like is built into such routines. So good luck getting double spaces
into print at a proper publisher.

There was a period, I'll say mostly in the 1960s, 1970s, but also a bit
before and after, when many low-budget publications, including many
academic and scientific publications, published photographically reduced
typed manuscripts. In other words, cheap typesetting was not available
yet, and they couldn't afford typesetting. In these cases the style that
writers had to follow specified "Elite" or "Courier," "double spacing"
(two returns on the typewriter), the width of margins, the number of
lines per page, manual justification (with double spaces to accomplish
that, or half spaces, which some typewriters could handle, such as some
Olympias), and so on. Universities had typing pools that could produce
such manuscripts: They functioned as the typetting departments of these
low-budget journals. In such manuscripts double spacing was often used
after periods and other sentence-final punctuation, and then after other
words if necessary to justify the text. People who learned typing in
that era tended to use textbooks that specified double spacing. They
were in effect learning half-assed typesetting. The factors that lead to
that style no longer exist.