[MlMt] check whether a recipient is in a certain group?

Shoshanna Green shoshannag at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 09:57:28 EDT 2015

I use the method described here
<http://email.about.com/od/Mailmate-Tips/fl/How-to-Have-MailMate-Perform-Custom-Checks-Before-Message-Delivery.htm>
to have MailMate check messages before sending them, to make sure I
haven't used the wrong signature or some other error. But MailMate
doesn't seem to be able to easily check something that would be very
useful to me.

I have an email account that I want to use only with certain people. So
I want to check each outgoing message from that account to make sure I'm
not accidentally sending it to someone I shouldn't. Since the set of
people I use that account with is large and flexible -- I'm often adding
people to it, and might occasionally remove someone from it -- the
easiest thing for me would be to maintain a list of approved addresses
and have MailMate check whether any recipient of an outgoing message
from that account is not in that list. But as far as I can tell MailMate
can't do this; it can only check whether any recipient of an outgoing
message is or is not a recipient of a message in a given folder. So I
have set up a rather awkward kludge, where I put a certain tag on
messages to approved correspondents, have a smart mailbox that collects
messages with that tag, and then check whether any recipient of an
outgoing message is not a recipient of a message in that mailbox.

But this makes it difficult to see who's currently in the set of
approved recipients, since I can't see all the recipients of all the
messages in that mailbox; and it makes it very difficult to remove a
person from the set, since I'd have to check every message in the
mailbox to make sure they're not cc:ed or bcc:ed on it. (Also I'm not
even sure that it's working identically on my desktop and laptop, for
reasons I haven't been able to untangle.) It's not feasible for me to
send a separate message to every person I might want to use this email
account with, just to get them into this smart mailbox.

Is there any way to have MailMate check recipients against a list of
approved addresses more directly? Ideally, of course, it would be able
to check against a group I've created in the Contacts app; last December
you said that "This is a relatively high priority and a frequent
request, but I cannot give you a time frame." In the meantime, any
workaround that would let me easily see and maintain a list of approved
addresses would be a great improvement (such as, oh, if I could send
myself a message with a list of email addresses in the body, and have
MailMate check whether all recipients of an outgoing message are
contained in the body of that message? Then I could just update that
message to myself as needed).

Is there any way in which something like this is possible? Or do I need
to stick with the kludge I have?

Shoshanna Green
shoshannag at gmail.com