[MlMt] Mail archiving best practice

Emory L. emory at hellyeah.com
Fri Jan 23 11:09:37 EST 2015

Possibly off-topic alternative to MailSteward workflow below.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015, at 09:56 AM, Gustavo Daniel Villarreal wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2015, at 2:21, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
> > I think it would be much better if MailMate triggered MailSteward
> > itself, e.g., by making a copy of each archived message in a separate
> > folder (in which MailSteward would then be allowed to delete imported
> > messages). It would also be more efficient since MailSteward would
> > then not need to scan already imported messages.
>
> Benny, this is similar to how I use MailSteward and not involve it
> directly with my mail accounts. I have a Smart Mailbox that recollects
> mails based on date conditions (older than 3 months, not flagged/unread,
> etc) and then has a Rule that exports to a folder and then moves it to a
> Deleted folder. Then MailSteward daily recollects this messages from the
> folder, not from the mail accounts. This has been working very well for
> me.

My practice currently is to archive/index email with DEVONthink, but the
process of getting things into DEVONthink isn't always elegant. I
haven't used MailSteward at all and I'm skittish of introducing Yet
Another Database into the mix of things. All of my research and projects
materials are in DEVONthink already so it seems like the place messages
should live too.

It also lets me correlate messages to other projects really easily and
can be searched with Spotlight, which is pretty awesome.

➟
   ✪ http://kvet.ch/tel://1-646-54-EMORYhttp://incumbent.org/