[MlMt] Mail archiving best practice

Matthew Cawood mattcawood at fastmail.com
Tue Jan 20 05:07:07 EST 2015

On 20 Jan 2015, at 19:29, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2015, at 23:25, Matthew Cawood wrote:
>
>> Well that was quick! Works well, except that for some reason I can't
>> open mail attachments in Devonthink
>
> That should be unrelated to MailMate I believe.

It's OK providing the attachements really *are* in Devonthink - I don't
want to delete emails I've archived to DT and find the attachments are
gone.

>> (open the .eml file in Apple Mail, and the attachment is there,
>> though).
>
> You should also be able to open it in MailMate. MailMate provides a
> URL which should default to MailMate if you have selected MailMate as
> the default in the **MailMate** General preferences pane.

If I use the Devonthink Info panel and click on the URL, that's the
case. If I use Devonthink's "open in default application" command, I get
Apple Mail, even though MailMate is configured as my default email
program.

>> As for configuring where the exported email goes in Devonthink:
>> Devonthink pops up an HUD that allows you to select the location, or
>> create a new folder.
>
> You don't mean when using the MailMate command? Because I didn't see
> this. It just went into a global Inbox.

No, it definitely pops up the HUD whenever I use the Devonthink command.
I'm not sure why our experiences differ, but it's very handy to have the
HUD selector.

>> I wonder if the coding you've done will now give Devonthink the hooks
>> to import whole mailboxes from MailMate, as it can with Apple Mail?
>
> I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but you can select multiple messages in
> MailMate before calling the command. But I guess, in this case you
> need MailMate to create a single `.mbox` file? (Hmm, maybe I should
> consider an `.mbox` input type for commands in MailMate. That could be
> used for an export command as well.)

I'll leave that coding dilemma to you, but I'm grateful for what you've
done so far, and any further developments would be welcome!