[MlMt] Mail archiving best practice

Scott A. McIntyre mailmate at howyagoin.net
Mon Jan 19 01:57:51 EST 2015

Hi,

> Any advice on best practice for archiving emails from MailMate?
>
> My preference is to archive in DevonThink, which holds my email
> archives from the mid 2000s. But it seems that MailMate and Devonthink
> don't hook up, so I'm looking for other robust options that are
> Spotlight searchable. Any advice appreciated.

I'd like to do this in a more automated fashion as well - I've returned
to DevonThink pretty heavily lately and would like my mail there as
well.

The issue is, and Benny will correct me if I'm wrong, that MailMate
doesn't do mbox; it's IMAP only.  As such, you're really somewhat stuck
putting it into a local archive.

When I want to archive something off of an IMAP server, I tend to run
Mail.app, save the folder as a local mbox archive, and either import
that to DevonThink, or, keep it in Tresorit (secure cloudy hosting) or
just keep it on my backup drives.

It WOULD be nice if MailMate could archive an IMAP folder as Maildir
format, or mbox, but I know that isn't really where the product is
heading.

Scott