[MlMt] how to best configure MM/Gmail to handle Gmail "Send mail as"

Tue Jan 6 09:18:07 EST 2015

On 30 Dec 2014, at 18:38, Paula Coelho wrote:

> here is the thing, i've got two work emails addresses, but their
> server is very limited in space, so I forward everything to a Gmail
> account now. I've added both work addresses in Gmail in "Send mail as"
> with the "Not an alias" option.
>
> when i read emails in MM, it does see it was send to the work address
> and hitting reply works correctly putting the work email as sender.
> but then the sent email is stored in the work IMAP server, and i loose
> the thread abilities for that exchange.
>
> bottom line: how can I make MM send an email with the sender being the
> work address, but storing the message in Gmail server instead of the
> work server?

I suspect the draft is also not in the Gmail server. This is probably
because you still have the email address listed in the IMAP settings of
the other account (essentially having the same address in two
locations). If you change this then it requires that the Gmail SMTP
server allows you to use the other email address as sender. I'm not
quite sure what the current policy is, but I've had reports about it
changing the sender automatically.

Another option is to leave the accounts as they are now and then add a
rule to the “Sent Messages” mailbox of the non-Gmail account which
simply moves the message to the Gmail account. This way the header
information of your messages also won't reveal the use of Gmail.