[MlMt] keeping sent mail with other mail

Mike Brasch mikebrasch at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 19 05:56:30 EST 2015

On 19 Feb 2015, at 5:59, David Morrison wrote:

> That's fine if all your messages for a particular smart folder have
> some common factor, such as a mailing list name. But what happens when
> the mailing list changes its name or host or something?

I use this for my mailing lists:

  - the IMAP sorts the mailing lists into folders like
"Mailinglisten/MailMate"
  - in MailMate then I use a smart folder with
	- Mailboxes: <account>
	- Conditions: <Source.path> <contains> <Mailinglisten> (I use the path
because two of my mailing lists don't use the ListID-header, otherwise I
would use this)
	- Submailboxes: Source.path.noinbox and mail box format
${#source.path.noinbox/Mailinglisten\///} (this will name the subfolders
by their folder name without the full path, like "MailMate")

If you then ever have a change in one of your mailing lists then you
only need to change the rule on the IMAP server and maybe to rename the
folder in case of a name change of the list.

Then I have another rule to filter out my mailing list postings out of
my combined Inbox/Sent smart folder:

  - Mailboxes: <Inbox>, <Sent>
  - Conditions: <Message-Id> <is not in> <Mailinglisten> <Message-Id>

When you then post to a mailing list, your sent mail will appear in your
Inbox/Send folder until you get your posting back from the list server.

I hope I understand your problem correctly and this will help. Maybe you
can transfer this logic to other use cases.

--
Gruß
Mike