[MlMt] "correspondent" column?

Tue Feb 10 10:45:30 EST 2015

On 10 Feb 2015, at 15:19, Shoshanna Green wrote:

> I'm currently using Thunderbird, and MailMate looks amazing, but... I
> rely on TBird's ShowInOut extension
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/show-inout/> to
> let me tidily keep incoming and outgoing mail in the same folder,
> listing the sender for all incoming mail, and the recipient for all
> outgoing mail, in a "Correspondent" column.

What is the meaning of the number of arrows?

> I know at one point you were considering implementing this as a
> MailMate feature; it's ticket 445
> <http://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672-mailmate/tickets/445>.
> Can you say what its current status is?

I haven't done anything to implement this, but some of my recent changes
might have made it much easier to implement.

As a first step I'll share my thoughts on the subject.

I think it can be implemented by introducing a virtual Correspondent
header. This should essentially be “Any Address” (from, to, cc, bcc)
except any address which matches a known identity (Email Address(es) and
address patterns in account settings).

This would allow it be used for a message outline column as you describe
except for the arrows. It could also be used for searches, smart
mailboxes, and the Submailboxes feature.

The complement of this header would be a virtual Identity header. This
could also be very useful (and the implementation would be almost
identical).

I cannot give you a time frame, but it's both a useful and interesting
general feature. That makes it more likely to be implemented :-)