[MlMt] mailer features

Thu Dec 17 07:51:20 EST 2015

On 16 Dec 2015, at 20:48, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> I was reading
> http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2015/02/email_overload_building_my_own_email_app_to_reach_inbox_zero.html
> -- a novice decided to build his own mail client -- and it has some
> interesting ideas on features.

It's also a very good description of the effort it takes to just make a
working email client.

> The one that interests me the most is the ability to set a future date
> on a new messages -- on that date, the message shows up as new and
> unread again.  Is there any way to do that with MailMate?

Not out-of-the-box. I have some notes written down on the subject, but
it's not straightforward how it is best implemented. (And no matter how
it's implemented it cannot solve the problem of emails not returning
unless MailMate is running.)

A workaround could be based on mailbox conditions. One could hide Inbox
emails more than X days old if they have some specific tag, but it's not
a very flexible workaround.