[MlMt] Layouts with Non-Columnar Formatting

Wed Dec 2 03:56:30 EST 2015

On 2 Dec 2015, at 3:51, Gary Hull wrote:

> So it seems to me that you could do away with "functional, but boring"
> reviews

I don't really mind having this label ;-) That doesn't mean I
deliberately try to make MailMate boring, but I don't want to make
something pretty if it's at the expense of making something less
functional or non-standard.

> by liberalizing the degree to which customization could be done. At
> that point people would have the tools to mimic whatever design they
> like. Or switch among designs weekly. MailMate could become the mail
> application for people for whom "looks are important," so important
> that they want to do it themselves or choose among several
> well-designed variations.

I think most people want something which is just pretty out-of-the-box
(and not necessarily configurable), but my goal is probably very close
to what you suggest. If possible (technically and performance-wise), I
would like both a one-column message list and the current headers view
to be based on HTML — and this would include making it as
user-configurable as possible for power users.

Right now my main priority is still (much) better handling of HTML when
replying/forwarding. There won't be any other major changes until after
that is complete. I'm just constantly side-tracked by having to deal
with bugs in IMAP servers, MailMate, other email clients/services, and
El Capitan. In that order and particularly the first one :-)