[MlMt] Local email archiving status/options?

Michael Tsai lists at mjtsai.com
Fri Aug 28 08:59:34 EDT 2015

On Aug 28, 2015, at 4:55 AM, Muster Hans <muster at sture.ch> wrote:

>> However, if you do come across a message that is using UTF-8 without specifying it, you could set the esoteric preference accordingly:
>>
>> <x-eaglefiler://default?k=DefaultMessageEncoding&v=utf-8>
>
> This resolves a non-mail related artefact I have been seeing, so thanks for that - unfortunately this isn't in the current EagleFiler manual.

Non-mail? It's not in the manual because it has never come up before. I would be interested to see a message for which it's necessary.

> It appears that any mail containing Unicode characters gets encoded.

> Expected behaviour when there are still 7 bit mail gateways out there, but when imported into EagleFiler I just see the encoded block.

EagleFiler doesn't change the content transfer encoding of the message, and my guess is that MailMate doesn't either. It was probably sent that way.

If you are seeing the encoded block in EagleFiler, perhaps this is because you have Message > View > Raw Source checked. This would also cause you to see words with equals signs instead of accented characters, because it would be showing the quoted printable source rather than the decoded Unicode.

--Michael

--
Michael Tsai
C-Command Software