[MlMt] Local email archiving status/options?

Muster Hans muster at sture.ch
Thu Aug 27 15:05:28 EDT 2015

On 26 Aug 2015, at 1:33, Brian Scholl wrote:

> Clearly there are plenty of workarounds to try for local-only
> archiving, so
> I'll make something work.  I'm still hesitant to try any of the local
> IMAP
> server options (and I have great server-side SPAM handling already
> through
> my university), but it sounds to me like my best bet for creating a
> long-term-storage archive might just be to export .eml files directly
> from
> MM (via the EF bundle, via dragging-to-the-finder, or by stealing them
> from
> MM's private ~/Library/ directory) and then have EagleFiler
> translate/collate them into an .mbox archive for long term storage.
> As
> long as that will work for folders of ~ 1000 messages at a time (and
> will
> preserve the dates, etc.), that sounds fine.

I tried both the EF bundle method and dragging to the Finder.  The EF
bundle
method was painfully slow, though that was not helped by EagleFiler
generating
a notification for every single message.  I tried turning that off in
System Preferences / Notifications but they still kept on coming.  I've
just
discovered an Esoteric Preference for that, but the documentation
doesn't seem
to match the behaviour I saw.

In contrast, 3,800 messages went into EF via dragging in about 6
minutes.

However, I ran into a real show stopper for me - EF doesn't support
UTF-8.

 From "DefaultMessageEncoding" at
http://c-command.com/eaglefiler/manual#esoteric-preferences

"When a message doesn’t specify which text encoding it uses,
EagleFiler has
to guess. An incorrect guess may cause the message to display using
strange
accents or garbage characters. By default EagleFiler guesses MacRoman,
but
you can change it to guess ISO Latin 1 instead."

I have a load of mails in German where each and every accented character
gets mangled by EF. E.g. "Freundliche Grüsse" (~=Regards) displays in
EF as
"Freundliche Gr=FCsse", and it's a similar disaster with other accented
characters.

Try exporting the following to EF to see what I mean:

Here's some unicode: