[MlMt] check whether a recipient is in a certain group?

Shoshanna Green shoshannag at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:40:04 EDT 2015

On 18 Aug 2015, at 16:54, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it worked for me. It might be easier for you to
> experiment if you create a smart mailbox showing the matched messages
> -- in order to focus on the condition itself.

Doing this makes clear that the condition is simply failing to see
anything inside the message in the IMAP mailbox; it behaves as though
the message is empty. The condition "[Any address] [is in] [the IMAP
mailbox] [unquoted body text]" matches nothing; changing that to "is not
in" matches everything. I created a new test message in which the
address in the body of the message was quoted text (by replying to my
own message), and "[Any address] [is in] [the IMAP mailbox] [quoted body
text]" also failed exactly as though the condition sees the message as
empty. These are true whether the test message is a draft or one I've
actually sent to myself.

The condition can see at least some other elements of the message;
filtering with "[Any address] [is in] [the IMAP mailbox] [From]" and
"[Any address] [is in] [the IMAP mailbox] [To]" both work. On the other
hand, when I put my own email address as the subject of a draft test
message, "[Any address] [is in] [the IMAP mailbox] [Subject]" matched
nothing, and "{is not in]" matched everything.

The IMAP mailbox is in a Gmail account, so I tried putting the test
message in a non-Gmail IMAP mailbox just to see if this was Gmail being
weird, but I had the same results there (though I didn't retest every
possibility described above).

If you can suggest other tests I could run, or things I could jigger, to
get this working, I'd be grateful! I'm running r5112.

Shoshanna Green
shoshannag at gmail.com