[MlMt] Archive in mailbox with dynamic name?

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Sun Apr 26 00:33:09 EDT 2015

On 25 Apr 2015, at 14:31, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 25 Apr 2015, at 8:25, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>
>> What I would like to be able to do is to move messages to a mailbox which is:
>>
>> 	"/Archives/"${#date.month}
>>
>> ...and this on a specific IMAP Account (i.e. I have multiple IMAP accounts and want to move to one of them).
>>
>> So I guess my question is whether one can have a variable as target to a moveToMailbox rule?
>
> Well, I guess it's really two questions.

I guess so :-)

What questions on this list (I have as a newcomer looked at maybe one year of archive before asking this question) is not? ;-)

> Moving to an explicit account requires an `imap:` URL. You can get this by selecting an IMAP mailbox and then use ⌘C to put it on the pasteboard. You'll get something like:
>
> 	imap://username%40example.com@imap.example.com/Archive

Aha! Cool!

> The simple answer to the other question is no. The `moveToMailbox:` binding takes the argument verbatim.

Ok.

> There is no expansion of variables. I guess I could introduce something like `moveToMailboxFormat:` for this purpose. I'll consider that.

Would be appreciated. I have seen others "almost" ask for it, although not as explicitly as I do.

> The most flexible solution is to create a bundle command which based on the given message returns an action which tells MailMate to move the message. This would not be limited to format strings. I could perhaps be persuaded to provide an example, but I don't have time right now :-)

Interesting thinking.

I know people that archive in different ways.

I personally move all messages to YYYY-MM mailboxes, one per month.

I know others archive in the same hierarchy as the message was in when archived (i.e. foo/bar/fratz get archived into Archive/foo/bar/fratz).

I have seen other ideas as well.

On this list I saw people wanting to archive in external software archives. I do (as I saw one message suggested) use a separate IMAP account, so that searches in MailMate do search all of my email.

I must though say one of the reasons I am on my way to use MailMate is that it can handle my amount of email. I have 10-14k messages per month for the last 15 years in my archive. I archive all messages older than a year.

Mail.App can not handle it (anymore), and on top of that it has a bug in the hash function it uses for identification of threads, as the bucket size seems to be too small, so it has false positives.

So far, MailMate do manage to take care of my mail, so money will come shortly.

Well done Benny!

   Best, Patrik