[MlMt] gpg2 path?

Wed Apr 22 15:48:10 EDT 2015

On 21 Apr 2015, at 22:58, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2015, at 13:28, Christopher LILJENSTOLPE wrote:
>
>> I've moved off of GPGTools, and am running the current gpg2 tooling
>> from GNU (brew package, if anyone is interested).  However, it seems
>> as if the GPGTools path is stuck somewhere in the system for the path
>> for gpg2.  Any hidden variable where I can change that path?
>
> 1. Symlink the hardcoded name to the working one:
>   sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin
>   sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/gpg2 /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin

This is what I usually suggest. I don't officially support any other
`gpg2` implementations, because MailMate does not yet have its own
password requester for OpenPGP. In other words, the user either has to
make sure password requesters are never needed or that the alternative
`gpg2` command can pop up its own GUI.

There is a nicer way to do it though. It is intended to be part of some
future GUI for editing a set of default environment variables. Here is
how to do it from the command line:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate environmentVariables -dict
"variables" '( { enabled = :true;  name = "MM_GPG"; value =
"/usr/local/MacGPG2/bin/gpg2"; }, )'

I believe MailMate also looks for `MM_TNEF` which controls the location
of the command used for decoding `winmail.dat` files and family, but I
doubt anyone would want to replace the default :-)

I make no guarantees that the above is going to work in the future. They
are low-level implementation details.