[MlMt] Muting - not working as documented

Mon Sep 29 08:26:37 EDT 2014

On 28 Sep 2014, at 9:36, John Purnell wrote:

> When I mute a message from a mailing list, I see in the Activity
> Viewer that the `$Muted` flag is applied to the message. I then delete
> the message and can see it is moved to the Trash mailbox. But
> subsequent messages in the thread are still filtered (by the server)
> into the mailbox of that mailing list, are not marked read and are not
> moved to the Trash mailbox. I expect further messages in the thread
> (not addressed to me) to have the `$Muted` flag set, be marked read
> and be filed into the mailbox of the parent message (in this case
> Trash).
>
> Am I misunderstanding how this works, or what do I need to do to make
> it work as described?

I think you understand it correctly. Looking at the related code I can
see that part of it uses some deprecated functionality and depending on
the headers of your messages then it might not work as expected. You can
try enabling “strong muting” as follows:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmStrongMutingEnabled -bool YES

This should make it work except that it no longer checks for emails
addressed directly to you.

(I'll look into the part of the code I think does not work correctly.)