[MlMt] Quote string on Reply messages

Jeremy Cowgar jeremy at cowgar.com
Mon Sep 15 11:54:53 EDT 2014

On 15 Sep 2014, at 11:38, my good friend Jeremy Cowgar wrote:

>> That looks strange. MailMate has no code that clears this setting. Do
>> other settings stick between launches of MailMate? (You could just
>> try the same as above with `MmDummySetting`.)
>>

>  % ps ax|grep MailMate
>   6620 s000  R+     0:00.00 grep MailMate
>  % defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmDummySetting -string "Hi"
>  % defaults read com.freron.MailMate MmDummySetting
>  Hi
>  % open /Applications/MailMate.app
>  % defaults read com.freron.MailMate MmDummySetting
>  2014-09-15 11:34:14.126 defaults[6052:507]
>  The domain/default pair of (/Volumes/My
> HD/Users/jeremy/Library/Preferences/com.freron.MailMate,
> MmDummySetting) does not exist
>
> Not sure what to do here.

Google and a little experimenting. I am not totally sure how this works,
but it seems that Mavericks caches preferences. So they are read once
from disk, stored in the cfprefsd daemon. When MailMate asks for
preferences, it gets the data from cfprefsd automatically w/Apples
system calls. defaults updates the file but not cfprefsd!

So, what I did was

1. Quit MailMate
2. Issue the defaults statement
3. killall cfprefsd
4. Start MailMate

When MailMate asks for the preferences, cfprefsd then had to reload them
from disk.

At least that is my interpretation of what is going on. In my very
limited searching, I didn't see a way to tell cfprefsd to reload the
settings.

Would be interesting in thoughts on this. As you can see from my silly
Reply To Quote String, it is working. I've tried opening and closing
MailMate several times now and the setting persists. It does not persist
if I do not kill cfprefsd.

--
Jeremy