[MlMt] Rules for Counting Messages

Fri Oct 24 10:23:10 EDT 2014

On 24 Oct 2014, at 15:48, Zvi Biener wrote:

> Sample case: I review my Junk mailbox occasionally, just to make sure
> nothing got trapped in there, but I'd like to review it only when,
> say, 10 messages have piled up. My ideal rule would watch for the
> number of unread messages, and when it goes over ten, it would toggle
> the "Displayed Count" property of the mailbox from "No Count" to
> "Unread." Alternately, it can just notify me by script or otherwise.
> But I can't figure out how to count messages...

I cannot think of a way to do that using smart mailboxes. It would
require some kind of mailbox-level condition which would be a completely
new concept in MailMate (all current conditions are message based). The
query system in MailMate knows nothing about mailboxes.

It's an interesting idea though. I think most things could be done if
actions could be triggered based on a single condition on some aspect of
a single mailbox, e.g.,

	Count of [mailbox] > 10
	Size of [mailbox] > 100MB
	Attachments Size of [mailbox] > 100MB

This could be part of the current rules GUI and used with or without
message conditions. For your problem then you would also need a new
action type (“Set Mailbox Count to [Unread]”).

Well, just thinking out loud here :-)

Right now, you can run an external script which increases a counter
(saved to disk or to a defaults variable). This hack could solve the
first part of the problem, but I don't see any way to solve the second
part of the problem without me implementing a new action method for
rules.