[MlMt] Defaults for subject search

Mon Oct 20 16:35:01 EDT 2014

On 20 Oct 2014, at 21:58, Vincent Danen wrote:

> Is there a way to specify the defaults for subject-based searching?
> For instance, when you click on the Subject line in an email, MailMate
> does a search on that subject by default which is a "related" search
> (I'm guessing by message-id).  The default search is "Subject -> Body"
> "is" "criteria"... is there a way to change that "is" by default to
> "contains"?

Not easily. It would require customizing the set of outline columns
available. This is the default file:

	MailMate.app/Contents/Resources/MmMessagesOutlineView/outlineColumns.plist

You would need a custom file here (create the path):

	~/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/Resources/MmMessagesOutlineView/outlineColumns.plist

That file should just contain the `subject` column definition of the
original file. That would allow you to customize it. This is the default
query:

	queryFormatting = { formatString = "subject.body = '${subject.body}'";
separator = " or "; escapeSingleQuotes = 1; };

This would change it to “contains”:

	queryFormatting = { formatString = "subject.body ~ '${subject.body}'";
separator = " or "; escapeSingleQuotes = 1; };

I said it wasn't easy ;-)

> The reason I ask is we get mails via a ticketing system for work, and
> it includes an ID number and it never matches the default search so
> I'm constantly clicking "Expand" and then making that change.

Hmm, that sounds like you need to exclude the ID number from the
comparison. That'll require a custom specifier. Here is a starting
point:
https://www.mail-archive.com/mailmate%40lists.freron.com/msg02243.html

All of this is very low level and I cannot promise that details are not
going to change in the future.