[MlMt] Forwarding mails with attachments

Mon Oct 20 09:48:56 EDT 2014

On 20 Oct 2014, at 0:03, Scott A. McIntyre wrote:

>> On 13.10.2014 22:03, Roland wrote:
>>
>>> I sometimes notice that some mails (usually those who have
>>> attachments,
>>> it seems) are always forwarded as an attachment and not inline, so I
>>> can't change details like removing from addresses or signatures. Is
>>> there some option to prevent this?
>>
> Yep, I've noticed this as well.  I've never worked out exactly the
> scenario when one or the other happens - but my sense is it has to do
> with the MIME types detected in the original mail.  If the message is
> nothing other than ASCII/plain text, it will likely be able to easily
> forward inline.  However, if it is multipart/mixed, MailMate probably
> tries to do the safe thing and forward as an attachment.

Yes, it can be seen as MailMate giving up on creating a plain text based
message for forwarding. My plan is to improve this in a way that should
also solve the general problem of forwarding and replying to HTML
messages without losing the original HTML (and without forwarding as an
attachment). It's tricky when MailMate is a plain text email client, but
in a sense it's the same problem HTML email clients have to handle (HTML
is very badly suited for being embedded in HTML).

(My planned solution won't easily allow editing the HTML since that
would require an HTML editor which is not on my todo. I'll keep this
problem in mind though to see if it could be handled somehow.)