[MlMt] sort by unread and still have conversations threaded ?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 17:47:02 EDT 2014

On 13 Oct 2014, at 21:12, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 13 Oct 2014, at 16:29, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to have mailmate just show conversations with unread
>> in them ?
>>
>> I've tried the following with no luck:
>>
>> * Mailbox with just unread - now all conversation threading are lost
>>
>> * show all from mailbox, sort by unread - conversations are not
>> thread.
>>

>> Only if I do not sort on unread do I get conversations but then I
>> will have to scroll down to
>> find all the unread.
>>
>> Any suggestions ?
>
> If I understand you correctly then part of the problem is that sorting
> by unread does not work well when it's not the root of the thread that
> is unread? (I guess I could just change that.)

Yes, it seem to work fine when sorting on other columns, why not also
for unread ?
It would be great to change this because then I can just sort by unread
in any folder and always see them at the top instead of having to scroll
to see the "full picture".

btw. optimally I would have it sort by unread first, sent date second -
is that possible ?

> Suggestion: Create a smart mailbox based on the Unread smart mailbox
> as follows. Click on the “Unread” mailbox, make sure no messages
> are selected, click on the “Thread” toolbar button, and then click
> “Save” to save it. This mailbox should contain the messages of any
> thread in which one or more unread messages exist. (Hmm, it behaves a
> bit weird when marking messages read since only the unread message
> itself is “sticky”. That is not ideal, but seems to be non-trivial
> to fix.)

This search result is actually *exactly* what I would like to enable in
any view/folder - but yes once I've clicked a message it removes the
thread completely removing the option to actually go back to the mail. I
would say that makes it not possible to use day-to-day unfortunately ;/

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen