[MlMt] Using Gmail

Alasdair Muckart alasdair at muckart.net
Fri May 16 16:58:55 EDT 2014

On 16 May 2014 at 10:42:15 pm, Gary Hull (yh82d7dfu at yandex.com) wrote:
> If you have a lot of legacy e-mail in a Gmail account, then I certainly
> understand that MailMate support for Gmail labels would be helpful.
> But it sounds like you recently moved to Gmail. In that case, make
> sure that you take a close look at MailMate's smart mailboxes, at at tags.

I have just migrated but I've taken may my 15-year, 270k+ archive of email with me.

> Tags are pretty much labels, but they don't map back and forth
> to Gmail. After getting things set up, however, you really never need to
> log into the Gmail web interface. It's a nice web app, but in theory you've
> made the decision to go with a Mac-side client, perhaps because you
> have a bunch of different accounts to track. So in that case, who cares
> if the Gmail app doesn't show the tags as labels if you're not using the
> web app?

That's the thing, I haven't made the decision to *just* go with a Mac-side client. I also heavily use the web interface when I'm dealing with email on other computers.

--
Alasdair Muckart | William de Wyke | http://wherearetheelves.net
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse