[MlMt] The [Gmail]/Chats label in MailMate

Tue May 13 05:06:57 EDT 2014

On 6 May 2014, at 11:44, Karl Erik Jessen wrote:

> I have enabled the [Gmail]/Chats label in IMAP, and after restarting
> Mailmate about 3.700 items are in the [Gmail]/Chats, but sadly most om
> them has Subject="(No Subject)" and Date Received= "not available".
> Actually only less than 100 items has actual values in these fields.
>
> Is this Google doing "unstandardized tricks" or does MailMate have an
> issue here?

Well, there is no standard for converting chat logs into emails. I can
see I have the same issue with the subject header. It appears it depends
on the correspondent. I have “Chat with X” for someone using Adium
while I think I have an empty subject for someone using the Gmail web
interface (but I'm not sure about that). All my chat logs have a date
header.

In any case, you can use “Show Raw Message” (⌥⌘U) to view the
raw message. If the message has an empty Subject header and no date then
MailMate is behaving as expected.

It is also interesting that these messages have no `text/plain` body
part which **is** non-standard. They have HTML which is what MailMate
displays, but they also contain an alternative of this type:

That might be useful for any scripts analyzing chats and, in theory,
MailMate could derive a date from its content, but that is not going to
be a priority.

For the record, I think it's a great feature that Gmail makes chats
available via IMAP. I  use it for searching in conversations since
searching in Adium does not work well for me. (It would be nice though
if Gmail was better at creating longer messages instead of many short
messages.)