[MlMt] Follow-up question on using Spamsieve with Mailmate

Scott A. McIntyre mailmate at howyagoin.net
Mon Mar 31 15:48:10 EDT 2014

Hi,

> I've heard of Sieve, but although I've been managing Internet mail
> systems since the very early 90s, I have yet to actually encounter a
> site that actually uses it.  At least, so far as I know -- maybe they
> use it and I don't know about it.

It's actually been included with OS X for several "Server" versions -
with access being provided by RoundCube, which supports it natively.  A
number of ISPs that run their own webmail platform use RoundCube and
Sieve.  Personally, I moved over to Sieve from procmail a few years ago.
  Not quite as powerful as procmail, but most of what I needed to do was
move mail into folders, rather than use formail or other hooks to get
overly creative.

FastMail (www.fastmail.fm) uses Sieve for all of their message filtering
as well - indeed, they provide a simple GUI for doing it, OR, you can
simply write Sieve scripts yourself (which is what I do).

As for MailMate, is it possible somewhere to see the rules created as
text that can be edited directly?  New to this mailing list, so, this
may be well known -- sometimes the GUI is very slow to navigate when
trying to build rules and if the underlying language is Sieve-like, it
would be great to just tweak it by hand.

Thanks,

Scott