[MlMt] Request for comments: GroupServer (mailing list software)

Fri Mar 28 11:22:20 EDT 2014

Hi,

I've recently become aware of an alternative to Mailman (the software
used for this mailing list). It's name is
[GroupServer](http://groupserver.org) and it can be seen in action on
[this site](https://onlinegroups.net).

I've taken a quick look at the
[details](http://groupserver.org/groupserver/features/details) and I
don't really see any downsides, but I stopped reading when I saw these
golden nuggets about formatting messages for the web-interface:

> While the messages are formatted and presented as part of a HTML
> Web-page, HTML email messages are not used, instead the plain-text
> form of the message is used. This is to ensure the security of the
> system.
>
> [...]
>
> The final formatting change is to convert the message so it uses the
> UTF-8 (Unicode) character encoding. This enables a wide range of
> character sets to be used within the same topic.
>
> [...]
>
> Files can be shared as attachments to posts made by email, or by the
> web. In both cases, a link to the files is distributed in the email
> version of the post, rather than sending out the files as attachments.

So, I'm considering installing GroupServer on my server and migrate the
Mailman mailing list, but first I would like to know if anyone on this
list has any experience with it (as user or administrator).

Thanks in advance.