[MlMt] External Editor To Compose Messages?

TJ Luoma luomat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 13:23:20 EDT 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Harvey Leff <hsleff at csupomona.edu> wrote:
> I found an app, MultiMarkdown Composer, which though not as powerful as a
> full-blown text editor, does do the markdown easily. It costs $11.99 at the
> AppStore. Using Command-b and Command-i surrounds the selection with double
> asterisks or underscores. If there is no selection, it simply prints the
> asterisks or underscores and places the cursor in the middle. It also puts
> quotation marks around selected text with a single keystroke. I think it
> does much more but I haven't explored that.
>
> Does anyone have an experience with this app? Unfortunately, the demo
> disallows copying text, so I cannot "Select All" and copy into MailMate
> unless I purchase it. That is poor marketing and gives me a negative feeling
> but I still might purchase it if I do not find another choice. TextMate,
> which is very powerful and diverse, will do the job for $49. Any other
> suggestions?

MultiMarkdown Composer is a very useful app, and it is created by the
developer of the MultiMarkdown variant of Markdown.

(Aside: I think MultiMarkdown is the best of the bunch variant of the
bunch, and should supersede Markdown itself. Gruber has pretty much
let sit idle since it was created, which he apparently considers that
a _feature_ of Markdown. MultiMarkdown supports Markdown itself, but
adds proper footnotes and tables, which are needed for many users.)

MMDComposer isn’t nearly as full-featured as BBEdit but it’s not
intended to be. It’s for writing and previewing MultiMarkdown, and can
easily create HTML or RTF for use in other apps.

TjL