[MlMt] Requesting DSN's (RFC 3461)

Thu Jun 12 14:43:49 EDT 2014

On 12 Jun 2014, at 18:36, Zak McClellan wrote:

> One (experimental) feature I have been struggling to use is email read
> receipts.  I have edited the Submissions.plist for each and all of my
> email IMAP accounts (Yahoo, Gmail, Fastmail, and Hover) without
> success.
>
> Release Notes - Experimental support for requesting DSNs
> http://updates.mailmate-app.com/release_notes
>
> Any ideas?

It requires that it's supported by all the SMTP servers between sender
and recipient. It works for me with my own server (it uses Postfix), but
it appears to not work for both Yahoo and Gmail.

You can see if a given server supports DSN by connecting manually and
look for DSN in its response (possibly after an EHLO command):

~~~
> telnet smtp.gmail.com 25
Trying 173.194.71.108...
Connected to gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com (173.194.71.108).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.google.com ESMTP k16sm28795400lbo.37 - gsmtp
EHLO dummy
250-mx.google.com at your service, [80.71.128.147]
250-SIZE 35882577
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250 CHUNKING
~~~

No DSN in the list which means no support for delivery status
notifications.

Do you think this explains your problems?