[MlMt] Mailmate for POP3? Future prospects from Mailmate?

Kai Großjohann kai.grossjohann at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 16:17:06 EDT 2014

Fredrik already asked most things, I would like to share how I migrated
to MailMate.  MailMate does not support storing emails locally.  I
worked around it as follows:

I have set up a local IMAP server on my MacBook using MacPorts, I then
configured it a little bit so that I was able to log in.  Then I added
this local IMAP server in the configuration of my old email program.
Then I dragged and dropped local mails from the old email program onto
the IMAP server, using the old email program.

Then all I had to do was to switch to MailMate and to configure all IMAP
servers.

I think for users familiar with the Unix command line, it's not that
hard to install and configure an IMAP server using MacPorts or Homebrew
or Fink.  For people not so familiar with the command line, perhaps
installing OSX Server works -- but I've never tried it so I don't really
know.

I'm a bit of a traveler in the land of various email programs, and while
MailMate is not perfect, it's pretty okay and I continue using it.
What's especially attractive is that GPG works out of the box.  I've
tried quite a number of programs, and GPG tends to be iffy.  Another
thing is that it supports Gmail bindings which is pretty cool.

Kai