[MlMt] Want a simple IMAP server to run locally... every proposed method is too complicated for my little brain... any help out there?

Richard I Cook MD ricookmd at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 11:35:56 EDT 2014

This is a sort of last gasp.

I need to have offline mail storage. It's essential.

I like MailMate for many reasons, none of which offset the requirement
for offline mail storage.

It seems that I need a local IMAP server. It need not communicate with
the outside world, just work inside my own user space. The _only_ use of
this server will be to provide MailMate with a way to 'see' the offline
mail.

I have purchased Emailchemy which claims to have an IMAP server but the
app implements only a tiny fraction of the server functions. It's a good
app for reading old mail but it's functionality stops there.

I have tried to get dovecot running both from the dovecot website and
MacPorts. [Oh, easy for
Leonardo!](http://hellopoetry.com/poem/101/a-childs-christmas-in-wales/)

Does anyone have a canned approach that works out-of-the-box (i.e.
without extensive modifications to .conf files and all that stuff?)