[MlMt] Noises

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Jul 8 11:06:17 EDT 2014

On Jul 8, 2014, at 9:48 AM, Fredrik Jonsson <frjo at xdeb.org> wrote:

>> 3. Any advice on what I can do with my 20GB of offline mail messages stored by Apple Mail?
>
> You can get an e-mail provider that allow you to store that mush or set up a local IMAP server. I do the later and it works really well but it is some work to set up and maintain.

One advantage to doing it this way is that you can set up simple standard cron jobs to go in and archive messages from the Internet IMAP server to your local IMAP server, so that you only keep messages below a certain age on the "public" server and everything else is 100% private.

If you set up jobs on the local server to copy down all the remote messages as soon as they come in, then you can use your IMAP client to interact exclusively with your local IMAP server, and then that will be much, much faster.  And these jobs to copy down messages from the remote server could potentially operate on other ports, via private VPNs, or tunneled over ssh, so that even if you're in a place where you can't normally access your remote e-mail, you could still get that copied down to your local server.  Once the messages are copied down to the local server, you can purge them from the remote server at your convenience.

> Running dovecot as a local only IMAP server on OS X <https://xdeb.org/node/1607>

Of course, I haven't actually done this yet, but I've been meaning to do so for a long time.

Maybe this thread will be the impetus I need to make this happen.