[MlMt] auto-correct is stubbornly active in Mailmate

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Jan 21 22:27:56 EST 2014

On 21 Jan 2014, at 8:56, Jason Davies wrote:

> I haven't found a way to turn off OS X using the shortcuts I have from
> my iOS devices, and it seems only to happen in Mailmate... I've turned
> off System Prefs/Keyboard/Text and I've checked that Mailmate is not
> set to use them...
>
> but it's doing it in Mailmate. When composing, it doesn't even give me
> the little preview/cancellation box, it just substitutes straightaway.
> When moving things to a different mailbox, it does give me the
> preview/cancellation.
>
> (In terms of what help I'd like, let's be clear that while I *like*
> iOS interfering with my mangled text, I wish to throw my computer out
> of the window if it ever.dares.to.alter.what.I.typed as I use a lot of
> shorthand codes, foreign language, mark-up (etc).
>
> I have tried googling to no avail and have tried to find the relevant
> bits of the handbook eg for hidden preferences. All app settings under
> Edit for Spelling etc are switched off as well as the OS setting.
>
> Any ideas gratefully received...;)

No guarantees of success for this...

It sounds like you're talking about text replacement, not spelling
autocorrect.They are different things. Quit MailMate, open Terminal. Use
this command to find all of your settings for everything that have
"replacement" in the setting name or its value:

    defaults find replacement

That may give you a little output or a lot, depending on your collection
of software. It will be grouped by "domain" (i.e. what software uses the
setting) and the domains that are definitely relevant to MM will be
'com.freron.MailMate' and 'Apple Global Domain', which may each have one
or more setting that might me causing your problem. The suspicious
candidates I have are TextAutomaticTextReplacementEnabled in
com.freron.MailMate, WebAutomaticTextReplacementEnabled and
NSUserReplacementItemsEnabled in the Apple Global Domain. With all of
those set to 0 I have no replacements happening, but I've never
intentionally enabled replacement anywhere and there could be other
settings that could be the source of your problem. If any of those are
set to 1 (a.k.a. "true") you can switch them off with the defaults tool
as well, e.g.:

    defaults write com.freron.MailMate
TextAutomaticTextReplacementEnabled 0
    defaults write 'Apple Global Domain' NSUserReplacementItemsEnabled 0
    defaults write 'Apple Global Domain'
WebAutomaticTextReplacementEnabled 0

You can also do the same thing looking for 'spelling' instead of
'replacement'.

Also, you might at some point have installed (possibly without knowing
it, i.e. as part of some larger package) something like TextExpander
(unlikely TextExpander itself, but there have been similar gadgets
bundled with keyboards over the years...) that do similar things. If you
have a non-Apple keyboard, you might find your culprit by finding any
software you installed with it.