[MlMt] Do we need a better way to disable text/not-really-plain?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Jan 15 10:03:26 EST 2014

For a fan of standards and simple email, the last token in this MIME
sub-part header generated by MailMate is appalling:

Even worse: that non-standard "markup=markdown" parameter causes
MailMate to translate what is labeled as "text/plain" into HTML which it
then renders, instead of simply presenting the plain text. This can
include turning supposedly-plain text incantations into active
(clickable) strings and hiding the original text. WHICH IS AS WRONG AS A
TEXT/PLAIN RENDERER CAN GET! Nothing in the Preferences dialog can
disable this. None of the documented "hidden" preferences set via the
"defaults" command touch it.

It is true that I have grumbled about this before and that Benny offered
a workaround:
https://www.mail-archive.com/mailmate@lists.freron.com/msg00673.html.
Unfortunately, that's really only fit for paranoid Luddite mail Puritans
like myself who are comfortable with how that switch operates.

Is the audience for a better default behavior and/or a more
support-worthy switch larger than myself and the small crowd of very
geeky people I've convinced to use MM? Put another way: is no one who
doesn't work professionally with the problem of email as an attack
vector even bothering to disable this misfeature?