[MlMt] show List-Id headers or more direct support for unsubcribe of mailing lists ?

Mike Brasch mikebrasch at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 10 14:23:18 EST 2014

On 10 Jan 2014, at 13:22, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> How did it know which list you were writing to?

I think Messenger Pro derived it from the current folder and the
(manually maintained) list of all mailing lists. Maybe each list entry
had a path. I don't remember that completely. But it worked. Every time
I opened a new thread, MP "automagically" filled out the list specific
"from" and the "to" field. It behaved exactly like in a usenet client.

One way to realise it could be a simple user maintainable list of all
used mailing lists (the MP-way). This would be absolutely OK for me.

The other way could be automatic guessing derived from the header
information of the first n mails in current folder (I would expect that
all users of mailing lists let sort the messages into appropriate
folders.)

If I see the header, it might be difficult to find the correct
from-address. Often I used aliases which appears in a slightly different
version in each mail. One example is alias at provider.de appears in header
like "X-Remote-Delivered-To: alias at 123456provider.de". The correct
address alias at provider.de appears only in the 2nd "Received:"-block.

I think the first one is the more stable solution. Although it means
more work for the user. But it is easier for people like me who used
different addresses for subscribing to mailing lists over the years.
Currently, if I cannot remember, I have to look into the headers to get
the correct from-address which is really annoying.

Maybe such a list entry could be generated via context menu on a list
mail via header fields like "List-post:".

> If the currently selected message or mailbox has the information
> needed then it can be done automatically. Actually, this code already
> exists, but it was disabled because it was annoying for some users (I
> forgot the details). MailMate used the `List-Post` header to create
> the new message.
>
> I've inserted a boolean to enable this code, but I haven't tested it.
> You can tell me about any issues when the next test version is out :-)
>
> 	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmListPostLookupEnabled -bool YES

This does not work here. The to-field is always empty. Even in mailing
lists where I had written days ago.

Maybe an important detail: I'm using only one mail account. All other
addresses are either aliases of the main address or forwarding addresses
of other providers (via Personalities feature of Fastmail). All of these
addresses are inserted into the email addresses field of the account
settings.

--
Gruß
Mike