[MlMt] Moving large IMAP folders

Fri Jan 3 14:04:50 EST 2014

On 3 Jan 2014, at 17:08, Kee Hinckley wrote:

> Is there in fact an underlying IMAP command to move a folder hierarchy
> (as opposed to rename)? Or if I tell MailMate to move a folder, is it
> going to copy and delete?

It is going to be copy and delete. Many servers though do that just as
efficiently as if it was a move (but not all servers).

> Having imported a few gig or so of local email, I now want to
> reorganize, and I'm trying to figure out the most optimal way. I can
> do it via MailMate, or I could do it via my webmail interface, where
> the move would be efficient, but then MailMate might download
> everything all over again. Is one way going to be better than another?
> If both ways are going to result in copying data, it seems like the
> server case might be the most efficient.

Renaming a large mailbox might also result in quota issues on the server
since some servers are going to measure each message twice until the
originals are deleted.

It's probably safer to do this on the server while it's more efficient
(for MailMate) to do it locally.

In any case, it'll at most be efficient for 1 instance of 1 email client
using the account. All other email clients are going to delete and fetch
just like if you reorganize on the server.