[MlMt] Archiving shortcut for messages?

Mon Feb 17 08:37:05 EST 2014

On 16 Feb 2014, at 15:11, John Doernberg wrote:

> Almost all of my emails have tags that are tied to GMail labels in two
> different GMail accounts. I get them out of the Inbox by moving them
> to All Mail, knowing that I can later find them through the Smart
> Mailboxes that are based on their labels. This means that I'm hitting
> "CMD-Opt-T" and searching for "All Mail" a lot. It's not overly
> burdensome, but I wonder if there's an easier way to archive messages
> by some shortcut or other workaround. I suppose I can tag the messages
> and then move them to All Mail en masse. Is this the best approach at
> this time?

You can right-click the “[Gmail]/All Mail” mailbox and then select
“Mailbox Type ▸ Archive”. After this you should be able to archive
using “Message ▸ Move to Archive” (⇧⌘M). (You can also use
[custom key
bindings](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/custom_key_bindings) to bind
any key you want to `archive:`.)

If you don't want to change the default Archive mailbox then it's also
possible to bind a key to moving to any mailbox you like including
“[Gmail]/All Mail”.

I assume this means that a message in your Inbox is also present in a
Gmail label mailbox within MailMate. In other words, it's a duplicate
within MailMate. Note how MailMate can also be configured to [handle
such
labels](http://blog.freron.com/2013/mavericks-gmail-apple-mail-and-mailmate/).