[MlMt] defer mail workflow in mailmate?

Fri Dec 5 09:18:12 EST 2014

On 5 Dec 2014, at 13:25, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 5 Dec 2014, at 12:53, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>
>> I tried sanebox and other apps lately that supports the notion of
>> deferring email.
>> [...]
>
> I'm still not quite sure how it is best implemented, but I think it's
> possible to setup manually. I just don't have time right now to
> describe it :-)

Ok, I tried the following as a quick test.

1. Create a tag named `Tickle1m` (maybe that should be
`TicklerFiled1m`).

2. Create a smart mailbox based on, e.g., “All Messages” (could be a
smaller set depending on how tickler filing is used).

	![](cid:4E940934-4689-4528-A612-E5BAEDDDA89B at freron.com
"PastedImage.png")

3. Add a rule to the mailbox which removes the `Tickle1m` tag.

4. Add a condition to the Inbox (or create a smart mailbox based on the
Inbox) which excludes all messages with the `Tickle1m` tag.

Test it by sending a message to yourself and then add the tag when it
arrives.

Now, there are a couple of caveats:

* The 1 minute is measured from the arrival of the message.

* When adding the tag to a message in the Inbox then it does not
immediately disappear. This is actually a feature, but in this case it's
counter-intuitive. Reselect the Inbox to make it disappear (in order to
see it re-appear within a minute).

But, the solution is also very flexible:

* You decide when a message should return. You could also set specific
dates.

* You decide what the action should be when the message returns. You
could add other tags, move it to a different mailbox, or something else.

* When tagging a message then one could setup an action to also move the
message to a different mailbox and then move it back when the time
comes. That way it would also disappear from the Inbox in other email
clients.

* If the same smart mailboxes are configured in another install of
MailMate then it'll still work because IMAP keywords are synchronized.
(Actions such as moving the message can result in duplicates though.)

* Most likely something I haven't yet realized.

Well, hopefully there is something useful in the above :-)