[MlMt] Newbie questions

Tue Dec 2 05:12:50 EST 2014

On 2 Dec 2014, at 2:26, AC-Martin wrote:

> I'm a little upset that I didn't discover this client before now since
> it has so many nice features. Better late than never.

I'm sorry I'm so bad at spreading the word about MailMate :-)

> Two questions/issues since using it:
>
> - is there a way to define a default account when creating a new
> message?  This is when I create a new message with the common Inbox
> folder selected.

Your best option is to use a [hidden
preference](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/hidden_preferences#composing)
named `MmDefaultAccount`. (This comes up pretty often and I've promised
a few times to improve it and make it a GUI option.)

> - If I leave MailMate running on one machine, do emailing with my
> mobile and return to the machine, all the emails I read would not be
> synchronised as read. I'm experiencing this mainly with my GoogleApps
> account which is by far, my busiest and main account.  I have two
> other accounts configured but rarely wish to send mail from them.
> Neither do I receive much emails on them to detect a similar pattern.
> BTW, I can confirm that the messages on my GoogleApps account were
> marked as read by checking the account using the web interface.

This is a Gmail issue affecting many users and it's not straightforward
to explain, but here we go:

IMAP IDLE: When an IMAP client wants to be notified about changes in an
IMAP mailbox then it uses a command named IDLE. When issuing this
command, a reply from the server is not sent before something has
changed server-side (new message, deleted message, flag changes). This
requires an open connection to the server and is typically only done for
the INBOX (MailMate allows more mailboxes to be connected like this if
using the “Connected” synchronization schedule). This is a good
solution, because changes can be reported immediately and the email
client does not have to regularly poll the server to look for changes
(which is still done for all non-connected mailboxes). This is also why
there is no “Get New Mail” button in MailMate.

Gmail IDLE: Most IMAP servers report both new/deleted messages and flag
changes (IMAP keywords). This makes sense, because if one of these is
not reported then the client still has to poll the server regularly.
Unfortunately, Gmail does not report flag changes.

MailMate: In the past I've experimented with a workaround for this, but
I removed this code when Google announced that they had improved IMAP
IDLE. A few weeks later they pulled this change, because it introduced
some problems with one or more mainstream email clients. I believe they
intend to reintroduce it, but so far nothing has happened.

All this doesn't help you. Although I removed the Gmail specific code I
still have a general workaround which can be enabled like this:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmEnableKeywordsCheckInIDLE -bool
YES

Relaunch MailMate after enabling it. It'll affect all IMAP accounts, but
I don't really have a lot of feedback on how well it works. It's the
best I can offer you for now.

For me, the flags also update if I right-click the Inbox and select
“Synchronize”.