[MlMt] Migrating to new Mac

Muster Hans muster at sture.ch
Sun Aug 31 12:08:18 EDT 2014

On 31 Aug 2014, at 17:16, Mike Brasch wrote:

> Moin Moin!
>
> On 31 Aug 2014, at 16:28, Blair Hartsfield wrote:
>
>> Which describes these folders/files:
>>
>> ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/
>> ~/Library/Preferences/com.freron.MailMate.plist
>>
>> I'm not finding this directory or file on my original Mac that is
>> currently running Mailmate, and setup with all the accounts and
>> preferences.
>
> Have you thought of that "~" is your home folder, which is expanded to
> "/Users/<username>"? The path names are then (under the assumption
> that your user name is blair):
>
> 	/Users/blaire/Library/Application Support/MailMate/
> 	/Users/blaire/Library/Preferences/com.freron.MailMate.plist

The problem with ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/ is that it
contains a space.

If you try enclosing the full string in quotes to get around the space
problem, the tilde
will not be interpreted by the shell.  Coincidentally I am halfway
through explaining this
to someone else, so here's an example I already have:

touch 'foo bar.txt'
mini:~ paul$ > cd Documents/

tilde inside either single or double quotes doesn't work:

mini:~ paul$ /Documents> ls '~/foo bar.txt'
ls: cannot access ~/foo bar.txt: No such file or directory

mini:~ paul$ /Documents> ls "~/foo bar.txt"
ls: cannot access ~/foo bar.txt: No such file or directory

$HOME does work, but only within double quotes:

mini:~ paul$ /Documents> ls '$HOME/foo bar.txt'
ls: cannot access $HOME/foo bar.txt: No such file or directory

mini:~ paul$ /Documents> ls "$HOME/foo bar.txt"
/Users/paul/foo bar.txt

The only way to use tilde successfully is to escape the spaces in the
filename with \