[MlMt] Very weird failure-to-get-mail continues...

Seebs mailmate-list at seebs.net
Fri Aug 29 14:50:22 EDT 2014

On 29 Aug 2014, at 13:45, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> No, I don't think that is related, but I have a new theory (unrelated
> to the app nap problem). I've seen a bug myself two or three times the
> past month: After sleep, one of my accounts does not take the INBOX
> into the IDLE state (the “Connected” state). This results in new
> messages not being detected. As soon as I select the INBOX or anything
> depending on it then it triggers it to go to the IDLE mode (after
> fetching new messages) and there are no more problems.
> Does this match what you see? And if yes, how often does it happen for
> you? (Tricky to debug if it happens as rarely as it does for me.)

Hmm. I *think* not. My usual use case is that I move my laptop between
two desks, so it sleeps about twice a day usually. So, I finish work,
laptop goes to sleep, I go upstairs, laptop wakes up. Laptop processes
mail pretty normally for a while, so far as I can tell; for instance, I
nearly always get the midnight-or-so nightly stats from a server that
lets me know its backups worked. But often in the morning, no new mail.
(Laptop does not sleep overnight because it's Busy Doing Things.) So I
don't *think* it's quite restricted to waking up from sleep?

But I definitely do have the trait where as soon as I touch the inbox in
some way, it comes back. Interestingly, if I just send an outgoing
message, nothing happens.

I'd guess a couple times a week maybe? I don't always notice, I suspect.

-s