[MlMt] TIP: Resetting per-mailbox column state

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Aug 13 14:52:23 EDT 2014

I expect Benny will give me a proper slapping if this is substantially
wrong, but I think this is worth sharing since I wasted a few hours
trying to find a better fix for what is probably the result of a
scale-sensitive bug.

PROBLEM: Many of my most frequently used IMAP folders refused to retain
column settings. Whenever I switched out of them, the next time I used
them they'd show a collection of columns which may have made sense to me
at some time when I was debugging a smart mailbox but made no sense for
normal use. For some time I have been in the habit of using "Revert to
Default Columns" reflexively and even leaving multiple viewers open just
to avoid that.

SOLUTION: Nothing subtle. I spent a few hours trying to work out what
precisely was wrong and find a fix, but nothing worked. My final act of
desperation, accepting that I would at a minimum lose all per-mailbox
column settings, was this:

     defaults delete com.freron.MailMate MmMailboxRelatedStates

And that did the trick. Yes, all my per-mailbox column settings were
gone, but whatever was causing trouble in that dictionary of settings
structures for 261 mailboxes also went away. Problem solved. As I read
the labels inside those structures, there seems to be nothing other than
display tweaks lost in whacking the whole thing, and doing so restored
my ability to make settings stick.