[MlMt] Sync between machines

Tue Apr 22 11:34:58 EDT 2014

On 22 Apr 2014, at 17:21, Brett Terpstra wrote:

> I'm having an odd issue where messages marked read or deleted on one
> machine don't receive the same treatment on the other machine after
> synchronization (they still appear as new messages). This is despite
> it appearing to sync fine with GMail and my iOS clients. Any obvious
> explanation for that?

Not an obvious one, but maybe a non-obvious one. Gmail has this unusual
limitation that when using the IDLE command to watch for mailbox changes
(this is what is used for the INBOX) then flag changes are not reported.
This is, strictly speaking, not required by the RFC for IDLE, but it
makes it a bit pointless to use IDLE since the email client then has to
regularly check for flag changes. This is currently not done by default
for MailMate and based on what I have read on the IMAP protocol mailing
list Google may be “fixing” this issue soon.

I believe explicitly synchronizing the INBOX should update flags, but I
haven't tested this recently. There is also an experimental hidden
preference for making MailMate regularly check for flag changes during
IDLE (every 2 minutes):

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmEnableKeywordsCheckInIDLEForGmail
-bool YES

This is buggy in some of the older releases, but I think it works in the
current test release although it has not been tested extensively.