[MlMt] supercite-like behavior

Thu Apr 17 05:13:28 EDT 2014

On 16 Apr 2014, at 20:53, mailmate at cdl.asgaard.org wrote:

> I may be dating myself here, but many moons ago, I used mh-e as my
> mail platform, and with it a package called supercite.  One thing that
> I have missed with all other mail tools is the sc ability to prefix
> each line in a reply with some tag.  For example, if I am replying to
> a text, my reply lines are prefixed with "cdl>" - to identify which
> text is mine, and which is not.
>
> How hard would that be to do?

It would not be hard to implement, but it would be wrong to do so. Many
features of many email clients rely on being able to identify quoted
segments of text and it doesn't work well with a quoting style like the
one you suggest. Quoting is not really standardized, but I consider the
quoting style described in [this
RFC](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3676) to be the correct way.

How to display quoted segments of text is a different issue and an email
client could offer to analyze the quote levels of a message and then add
quotes like you suggest before displaying the message. (This would be
non-trivial to do for some types of email correspondence.)