[MlMt] Archive by applying rules with default of move to Archive folder

Dr Gregory Jefferis jefferis at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 16:23:05 EDT 2014

On 16 Apr 2014, at 16:21, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> My suggestion is simple (although maybe non-obvious): Archive like you
> do now (button or shortcut) and add rules to the Archive mailbox. The
> messages not matching any conditions are then going to stay in the
> Archive.

Thanks, Benny, you're right, that is simpler than anything I'd
considered. A few specific questions

1) rules are automatically triggered only when messages arrive in a
mailbox, right?
2) can a rule include a second mailbox restriction?
3) are rules/searches based on address book groups any closer?
4) is there a way to tell if a message has been read less than x minutes
ago

And then in terms of strategy:

I already have smart mailboxes that define most of these searches. I was
thinking that I could add a rule to the smart mailbox that said:
  * if this message is now in the archive folder then move it to its
permanent folder.

Alternatively I could have a rule in the Archive folder that says:
  * if this message is also in smart folder X then move it to IMAP
folder Y.

But I don't see that either of those are possible right now (without
perhaps giving smart folders rules that give messages a tag). What I'd
like to avoid is duplicating all of my message search conditions in two
places (once in an archive rule, a second time in a smart folder).

Many thanks,

Greg.

--
Gregory Jefferis, PhD