[MlMt] Markdown inside of words

Mon Apr 7 15:15:01 EDT 2014

On 7 Apr 2014, at 14:33, Kee Hinckley wrote:

> No, that’s my point. The whole idea behind Markdown is that readable
> even if _not_ processed. So the fact that one markdown processor
> supports a couple extra features doesn’t matter. What you see still
> makes sense.

Yeah, I get that and I agree. *My* point is that “not processed”
doesn’t exist in the current version of MailMate. The original
Markdown text might be perfectly readable, but there’s no way to
actually *see* it with the current behavior. If the plain-text part
includes the `markup=markdown` header, MailMate renders it and shows you
the resulting HTML.

To see what I mean, select the message you just sent me and hit ⌥⌘[
to view the “plain text” version. You’ll see that it’s just HTML
without your stylesheet. If you try the same thing on my message,
there’ll be no difference at all because one is the HTML generated by
MailMate on my end and one is the HTML generated by MailMate on your end
(both from the same source).

With the possible future implementation, Benny has indicated that
`markup=markdown` won’t be added for those using custom parsers, which
will make it possible to view the sender’s original Markdown without
any assumptions about how it should be processed. That’s why I think
it’s worth it to spend time on official support for additional
Markdown parsers.

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/