[MlMt] Markdown inside of words

Kee Hinckley kee+freron at hinckley.com
Mon Apr 7 14:33:57 EDT 2014

On 7 Apr 2014, at 9:53, Rob McBroom wrote:

> On 6 Apr 2014, at 11:36, Kee Hinckley wrote:
>
>> But it’s allowed me to do things like add automatic
>> syntax-highlighting to code blocks, and support tab-delimited tables,
>> and otherwise extend my email in ways which make my work much easier.
>> If someone were to view the plain-text of those messages, or even
>> reply to them, they wouldn’t get exactly what I got, but they’d
>> get something perfectly readable–that’s the basic nature of
>> Markdown.
>
> …unless they use MailMate to read the plain-text part, in which
> case, it will detect `markup=markdown` and run your text through its
> internal processor, which won’t always handle it correctly.

No, that's my point. The whole idea behind Markdown is that readable
even if *not* processed. So the fact that one markdown processor
supports a couple extra features doesn't matter. What you see still
makes sense.

If I send you some code-fenced Python and you don't see it with syntax
highlighting, that's fine. It's still formatted correctly and perfectly
readable. If I paste in some tab-separated content, you see
tab-separated content. That's fine. Yes, someone viewing the HTML will
see a prettier version--but that's what HTML is for.