[MlMt] migrating to new computer

Sat Apr 5 05:16:59 EDT 2014

On 4 Apr 2014, at 17:28, Zed Smelly wrote:

> Thanks, Benny. I'm taking the files from a time machine backup, which
> perhaps was taken when mailmate was running. This does explain a lot
> -- in
> fact, since I wrote the initial email mailmate has started crashing on
> startup, and I wont bother you with the details,

Oh, please do. The goal is always that MailMate should never crash. The
worst-case scenario should be a database rebuild and this should only
happen when caused by external reasons such as disk failures and
restoring from backups. I haven't reached that goal yet (and probably
never will), but for most users crashes are quite rare (based on the
automated sending of crash reports).

(Some crashes cannot be prevented, for example, if caused by Apple
frameworks or third party plugins.)

> since you probably hit on
> the cause already. Thanks. I'll try to find a timemachine backup that
> is
> missing the .pid file -- this would indicate that mailmate was closed,
> right?

Yes, but it's not a guarantee that the database is not corrupted
(although it makes it much more likely). The problem is that MailMate
cannot control the order and timing of a backup (by any backup
software). Note that MailMate crashes should, in theory, never corrupt
the database.

That said, I don't see how your counters problem could be related to
this...