[MlMt] Markdown inside of words

Bjørn Bulthuis bjorn at bulthuis.org
Thu Apr 3 10:04:56 EDT 2014

On 3 Apr 2014, at 2:03, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> I think this would be a good idea. I see many emails where
> inline-emphasis is used unintentionally and I see very few where it is
> used intentionally. If anyone feels strongly against such a change
> then speak up now.

If you use backticks around these strings, the underscore is
automatically escaped:

     `id_rsa_rocks.pub`

will render as:

`id_rsa_rocks.pub`

Adding backticks causes `code` elements to be placed around the text.
Since the majority of the time strings with underscores in them are code
snippets, this is the correct way to markup these items anyways. It also
has the added benefit of styling the text in a monospaced font in many
cases, which helps with clarity.

I have found that once I knew this feature existed it solved majority of
the issues I had with underscores in words.

--
Bjørn