[MlMt] Markdown inside of words

Thu Apr 3 05:03:38 EDT 2014

On 3 Apr 2014, at 8:17, Ingo Lantschner wrote:

> I often have e-mails containing e.g. file-names with underscores
> inside of the name.
>
> Example:
>
> 	check_netapp_pro.pl
> 	id_rsa_rocks.pub
>
> This renders to **check_netapp_pro.pl** and **id_rsa_rocks.pub** if
> not explicitly marked as code.
>
> I know that this is how the original markdown works, but I also see
> that many flavors changed that behavior to ignore underscores (and
> stars) **inside** of words.
>
> Can we have that in MailMate too?

I think this would be a good idea. I see many emails where
inline-emphasis is used unintentionally and I see very few where it is
used intentionally. If anyone feels strongly against such a change then
speak up now.

Somewhat related, I regularly receive requests for *adding* various
Markdown features/flavors and the plan is to handle it like this when I
get time to implement it: Allow custom Markdown (or other syntax)
converters which can be used to generate the HTML body part of a
message, but when this is done then the converter must also provide the
plain text body part and MailMate won't add anything to the headers of
the message about the plain text body part being Markdown text.