[MlMt] Creating a new IMAP mailbox from the keyboard

Matt Gray rrazor at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 12:42:59 EDT 2014

On 2 Apr 2014, at 10:50, Thomas Eckhold wrote:

> There is an plug-in for Apple Mail (and now an app for sandbox
> reasons) called [MsgFiler](http://msgfiler.com) that provides the
> functions as Matt has described. It has even a similar UI. MsgFiler
> allows to navigate to a mailbox (like the "Go to Mailbox" command in
> Mailmate) and then to [create a new mailbox as a child from the
> selected parent
> mailbox](http://msgfiler.com/support/docs/#newmailbox). Maybe it would
> be an idea to use a similar approach in MailMate.

Yes, my message sort thought process is:

  1. Decide to file the message
  2. Issue the move command (mapped to the “s” key)
  3. Think of a fuzzy, ideal mailbox name & location (“Project X” or
“Someday-Maybe”)
  4. Start typing to see if the folder exists
      a. If I found the folder, complete the move
      b. If I did not find the folder, create it

With the `newIMAPMailbox:` selector I can implement 4b. above as
follows:

  1. Cancel the move
  2. Go to the new mailbox’s parent mailbox
  3. Run `newIMAPMailbox:` from a custom key binding
  4. Enter the new mailbox name
  5. Go to the previous mailbox I was in (likely “Inbox”)
  6. Issue the move command and autocomplete to the new mailbox

The above steps involve a few interrupts (canceling the move, switching
IMAP mailboxes) but will work for me. I think the ideal workflow would
allow a user to create a new IMAP mailbox right at the moment they
discover they need a new one, when the fuzzy find/autocomplete fails.

Implementing this would likely require a change to how the fuzzy finder
dialog works. Nostalgy, for example, populates the text field in its
fuzzy finder with the full path to a selection once you use tab or the
arrow keys to highlight one, allowing for seamless text entry in order
to create a new mailbox.

I can send along a sequence of screenshots from Nostalgy if that would
help (wasn’t sure if that would be spamming the list).

Thanks for the replies, Benny and Thomas!

--
Matt