[MlMt] Creating a new IMAP mailbox from the keyboard

Matt Gray rrazor at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 11:00:23 EDT 2014

On 1 Apr 2014, at 11:40, Matt Gray wrote:

> Is there an efficient, keyboard-only way to create a new IMAP mailbox
> within an existing source? I use mailboxes to organize and file my
> messages, and often need to create new ones on the fly. Selecting a
> source with the mouse, using the “Mailbox” menu, and then typing
> the new mailbox name at the bottom of a long list of mailboxes is
> cumbersome and takes me out of the context I was in.

I’ve tried to use the OS X keyboard shortcut overrides to bind a key
combination to the Mailbox > “New IMAP Mailbox” menu item so I could
use the following workflow:

  1. Use “Go to Mailbox” to navigate to the would-be IMAP parent
mailbox
  2. Press the keyboard shortcut to create a new IMAP mailbox
  3. Name and save the mailbox

This doesn’t appear to work because the “New IMAP Mailbox” menu
item changes depending on what parent folder you’re in. (It is “New
IMAP Mailbox” when you are not in a mailbox context, otherwise it is
“New IMAP Mailbox in “$MAILBOX_NAME”.) I think this interferes
with Mac OS X’s ability to map a key binding to it.

If I add an application-specific key binding for a specific IMAP mailbox
(e.g. ‘New IMAP Mailbox in “Active Projects”’) it works, but
this seems fragile.

Finally, I cannot find any mailbox creation selectors in the “Key
Binding Selectors” help document within MailMate, as that could be
another viable option.

--
Matt